Edge banding is the process of covering the raw edges of the plywood, MDF, block boards, or any other such material with the help of edge banding tape. It is a simple and effective process to create aesthetically pleasing and finished edges.
The hardest part about building projects out of plywood and block boards is to finish the raw edges. Plywood is a great material and it has a lot of advantages but it requires proper edge banding to cover those rough edges that show its multilayers.
One of the simplest ways to professionally cover these edges is to use an edge banding tape product. It comes with an iron-on edge banding which is a thin veneer, wood, or PVC having a temperature-sensitive adhesive pre-applied to the back of it.
This edge banding tape is very popular and easily available in the market. It is quite easy to apply and if it is installed properly on the edges it is very durable and also improves the looks and quality of the plywood.
Advantages Of Edge Banding
When you are using materials like plywood and block boards for your room projects you should not leave the edges of these materials open. Proper edge banding should be done to cover up the rough edges, it has a lot of advantages. Let’s have a look at some of the main advantages that edge banding provides to your furniture items.
The rough edges of the plywood and other wood material materials can easily absorb atmospheric moisture. This can be a really big problem as it can lead to the deterioration of the plywood. The edge banding helps to keep away the moisture from entering into the plywood and thus increases its life.
The open edges of the plywood and other such materials are generally not at all good looking, because they show up the multilayers that the plywood is made up of. So the edge banding tape is a very inexpensive and effective method to cover up these rough edges to make the plywood look attractive and aesthetically pleasing.
The edge banding tape generally comes in a very good finish, it is smooth and rich in texture and color. As such it makes the rough edges of the plywood, block boards, and other such materials very smooth after proper finishing of edge banding is complete.
Edge banding also helps to improve the durability of plywood and other related materials to a substantial extent as it protects them from many harmful elements. This is the reason it is recommended by many professionals to complete the edge banding for all the projects.
The exposed rough edges part of the plywood, block boards, and other such related materials can be easily attacked by termites. And if this happens it will soon spread the entire part of the plywood material making it hollow and useless. The edge banding helps to ward off the termites and increases the lifespan of the plywood material.
Tools For Edge Banding Process
For doing proper edge banding on the edges of your plywood or any other such material you need the following materials. These tools will help you to execute the edge banding process easily and perfectly.
- Good quality edge banding tape.
- Heating iron for heating the tape.
- A roller to stick the tape properly.
- An edge trimmer to cut off the extra tape on the sides.
- Dual side cutter to get rid of extra tape width.
Edge Banding Process
The edge banding process is fairly simple and it can be done easily at home if you have the right equipment with you. Let’s have a look at the simple step-by-step process of edge banding the plywood edges.
- The first step is to cut a piece of the edge banding tape that is slightly longer than the plywood length itself. About a half to an inch on either side will be fine.
- Let the iron heat up and in the meanwhile locate the edge banding tape on the center part of the plywood edge. And let some part of this edge banding tape overhang on either side.
- After the iron heats up, start by pressing it on one end heating up the edge banding tape so that the glue starts to melt. At the same time apply a decent amount of force downward and make sure you are covering all the surfaces equally.
- When the heating is done properly on the edge you can follow up with a wooden roller by pressing and rolling it firmly over the entire edge of the plywood. This will ensure a perfectly fixed bond of the edge banding tape.
- Let the edge banding cool down for a little bit of time before starting the trimming process. Begin the trimming process by first trimming the ends or the tails by using the end trimmer.
- Finally, it’s time to trim the long edges. You can use a good quality double-sided trimmer that cuts from both sides which means you will be able to squeeze the cutter tightly to the plywood producing a closer cut.
Edge Banding Machine
If you do not wish to do the edgebanding process manually then you can take the help of an edge banding machine that is easily available in the market. This edge banding machine helps to make the overall process very quick and easy.
This edge banding machine has two very important parts. One part allows the entry of the edge banding tape, and the other part is where the plywood is kept. When this edge binding tape passes through the preheated machine area it readily sticks to the edge of the plywood.
This whole process takes place quite quickly and as such, it saves a lot of time. After the edge banding tape sticks properly to the edge of the plywood, the extra part of the tape can be trimmed off with the help of a trimmer.